Thursday, September 15, 2011

Questions on Mondays Reading

1. Literacy was important to Sherman Alexi because he lived in an Indian reservation where everyone that lived there was illiterate. Since no one else knew how to read or write Alexi was determined to learn. He wanted to go to school and get off the Indian reservation for a better life. He also wanted to prove to everyone that he could learn and that he didn't have to grow up like they did that he could be different. I think that is was just as essential for him to learn how to be literate because I wanted to learn and go to college to be successful just as he wanted too.

2. I think my development in being literate was connected to my culture because my family was always thought to be smart and well behaved. In school I was expected to be smart and to get good grades just by where I came from and who my family was.

3. The narrative I enjoyed most was "Two Questions", by Lynda Barry. I enjoyed this one most because her creativity and weirdness made the story interesting to read. The pictures she drew connected with the story with detail, like when she said she love to draw as a child she portrayed that in her pictures. And she made her point about wanting to go back to where she was a child and she just wrote without pressure and she showed it her story.

4. The circular narrative is to make one point in the beginning of the story to draw your readers in and then repeat the point at the end of the story to pull it all together. And as I said in question 3, I think Lynda Barry’s story was a circular narrative because she starts the story off about the two questions she was always pressured to answer and then ended her story saying she now feels no pressure from those two questions anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment